August 21, 2017
8 Ways Motivate and Influence People
Who doesn’t want to be more influential? People who are influential can drive others to accomplish more and achieve goals, they can inspire action, effect change, and transform people and organizations. Influential people are powerful. They command attention and they garner respect. Being influential means that what you say and do matters, because it sets the tone for others who will strive to follow in your footsteps.Influential people are powerful. They command attention and they garner respect. Click To Tweet
- Improve your Skills: To build influence with others, you must first master your own skills. People want to learn from people they believe have expertise, experience, and valuable knowledge to impart. Wielding influence requires an ongoing focus on self-improvement, growth, and polish. It’s not enough to just be good at what you do; those with the most influence are great.
- Take on a Challenge: Consider taking a leadership role at a non-profit, where employees are working on a volunteer basis. If you can motivate and get results from people who aren’t driven by the promise of money or success, then you are truly a strong leader.
- Become a Great Listener: Being influential isn’t just about speaking; listening matters too. People get excited about leaders who take a genuine interest in them, make them feel important, and who support their goals. Show those you hope to influence that they matter, and they will be more likely to care what you have to say.
- Build your Reputation: There’s no shortcut to achieving consistent results, but if you want to be able to influence people, you’ll have to establish a proven track record of success. Model the behavior you hope to encourage in others to boost your own credibility as a leader.
- Learn How to Paint a Picture: To communicate in a way that moves others to action, you’ll have to find a way to make your message easily understandable for all. Use descriptive language and clear examples that help your audience fully understand why what you’re saying is true. Start with a story that engages your audience. Use metaphors, analogies, and real-life anecdotes to help to support your argument and drive home your point.
- Amp up your Energy: People are like mirrors. We often match our own energy, attitude, and enthusiasm to that of the person we’re communicating with. When attempting to influence people, get yourself psyched up and sell every statement you make like it’s the most important point anybody has ever heard. If you don’t seem excited about it, why should your audience be?
- Learn how to Build Bridges: People come from a vast variety of backgrounds and sometimes incompatible belief systems. Being influential and bringing about change requires the ability to connect with a diverse audience and encourage open communication and collaboration between divergent groups and individuals. Sometimes, influencing people is about helping to change their way of thinking to facilitate collaboration between individuals with conflicting views.
- Be Confident: If you don’t believe in yourself, you can’t possibly expect to make others believe in you. Portraying confidence is key to giving the impression that you are someone worth listening to. It’s normal to doubt yourself sometimes, but if your goal is to become more influential, it’s important to never let them see you sweat. Come to speaking events well-prepared, and practice breathing techniques to sooth your nerves. People who convey self-confidence naturally give the impression of being knowledgeable, authoritative, and competent.
You don’t have to be a billionaire or a genius to influence others. Influence is about moving and motivating others through effective communication. Anyone can build influence by focusing on the way they present themselves and how they deliver their message. Becoming an influential leader is about much more than getting your way. It can make you an invaluable asset to a business by helping to unite teams, get employees on board with new projects, earn investments, realign thinking, and strengthen partnerships. By practicing the tips above, you may be surprised by your own power to move others to action, and no matter your goals, being more influential is a critical step toward becoming an effective leader and getting things done through and with others.
We are Cydcor, the recognized leader in outsourced sales services located in Agoura Hills, CA. From our humble beginnings as an independent sales company to garnering a reputation as the global leader in outsourced sales, Cydcor takes pride in having exceptional sales professionals and providing our clients with proven sales and marketing strategies that get results.