Looking to save a bit of money in the year ahead? As a business owner, the more money you save, the more of your money you can put back into your business. But where do you start? Finding ways to save money on a tight budget can be challenging when you’re already living a pretty frugal lifestyle, but you might be surprised how quickly small changes can add up to big savings by the end of the year.Saving money on a tight budget can be challenging, but you'll be surprised how small changes can add up. Click To Tweet
Here are 10 easy ways to save money on a tight budget and make an extra $5,000 or more every year:
- Avoid the Idiot Tax: Unnecessary expenses include parking tickets, late fees, and overdraft fees add up quickly and can be eliminated completely by carefully reading street signs, managing your calendar, and scheduling important events. Savings: $720
- Pack Your Lunch: Convenience costs money, so bring your lunch or carry snacks with you instead of eating out or stopping at convenience stores. Savings: $1,040
- Control Your Vices: Cigarettes, lottery tickets, and alcoholic drinks put an unnecessary dent in your wallet. Make a conscious effort to cut down (if not quit altogether) on impulse-driven, nonessential items. The money you’ll save will be worth more than you’re ever likely to win on those weekly scratchers, and cutting down on your other vices can help you feel healthier and more energetic as you try to manage your business. Savings: $600
- Right-size Your Tech: Be realistic about your phone, media, and entertainment needs. Do you really need all those bells and whistles? Become familiar with the details of your cell phone plan and cable bill, then streamline features to suit your needs. Rather than subscribing to cable services that include all the premium channels, save big with subscriptions to services like Netflix or Hulu, with lower barriers to entry. Savings: $720
- Play Outside: Instead of springing for weekend getaways that require hotel stays, pack your tent and head out for a camping trip to your local national park. Skip the pricey gym membership, and take up hiking, jogging, or swimming to stay fit on the cheap. Or, join a local sports league and get in an awesome workout while you make new friends. Even an investment in a treadmill or other piece of at-home exercise equipment will pay for itself quickly and allow you to exercise any time in any weather in the privacy of your own home. Savings: $240
- Go to the Library: Public libraries offer numerous money-saving benefits, from free or significantly reduced rates on CD and DVD rentals to free tickets to local events or attractions. Savings: $120
- Cancel Unused Subscriptions: It’s easy to sign up for a “free trial” and then forget it will self-renew. Subscriptions you don’t use or can’t justify in your budget are taking money right out of your wallet. Savings: $120
- Renegotiate Your Financial Commitments: Start by looking for better interest rates and lowering the payments on your student loans and credit cards. Sure, lenders might deny your request, but you’ll never know if you don’t ask, and you might just be surprised by what they can offer you. Savings: $1,200
- Consider Renting Out a Room: If you have the space, consider renting out a room via Airbnb or a similar service during high demand times in your area, or share the space you’re already using by finding a roommate to pick up half the rent. Savings: $800
- Set a Weekly Budget: Take out cash, and use only that. It’s very easy to overspend when you use your debit/credit card, but when you see the cash dwindling in your wallet, you become much more thoughtful of what you spend. Savings: Limitless!
Even a small step can lead to big changes and, in this case, even bigger savings. Many of these money saving ideas are easy to implement, and they could provide benefits that go well beyond the money you’ll save, such as financial freedom for you and your family. Most importantly, living within your means can reduce the additional stress you have to manage as you work to keep your growing business healthy. Every cent you save is just one more penny you can use to help your company reach its goals.
We are Cydcor, the recognized leader in outsourced sales services located in Agoura Hills, CA. From our humble beginnings as an independent sales company to garnering a reputation as the global leader in outsourced sales, Cydcor has come a long way. Cydcor takes pride in having exceptional sales professionals and providing our clients with proven sales and marketing strategies that get results.