Coach Wooden is one of the great men of modern time who exemplified the balance of family, success and contribution. If you read any Coach Wooden book, this is the one I recommend.
This easy-to-read book begins at his foundation: family, values and virtues and then discusses and offers wisdom on the topics of success, achievement, competition and leadership.
I’ve pulled some of my favorite quotes from the book to share with you:
- “Being a role model is the most powerful form of education.
- [People] need good models more than they need critics.”
- “[Happiness is] being at peace with yourself knowing that you are making the effort, the full effort, to do what is right.”
- “’Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.’ If you prepare properly, you may be outscored but you will never lose.”
- “Leaders Listen.” “I feel that hard public criticism embarrasses people, antagonizes them and may discourage them from being receptive to your message.”
- “Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”